Re: [oletrucks] Installing Brake Spring

To: tcape <tcape@weblnk.net>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Installing Brake Spring
From: John Maertens <mcdac@rconnect.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:18:22 -0500
Tom,
        Do a few stretching exercises to limber up the ole joints. You can see
the switch from under the hood but may have to crawl under the truck to
actually work on it, unless you have really long arms and can see
through your fingertips. Follow the brake pedal arm down and you will
see a small switch (2" long or so). This is below the vertical firewall
on the toeboard.                        The switch has an "arm" on it that is
moved when
the pedal is pushed thus opening the circuit to your brake lights. The
switch arm (or lever) should return to the rest position by itself via
the internal spring enclosed in the switch housing. My guess is that the
problem is with the switch and that it is sticking or the spring is weak
or broken, but it could also be with the pedal if it is hanging up for
sone reason. If you have a Chevy Duty catalog they have a good picture
of the switch on page 38. Jim Carters, Chevy Duty and others sell the
switches for about $9.
        I don't know Tom, you're just going to have to crawl under that ole
girl and see what's happening :-)
John '51 1/2 Ton
Minnesota -where it snowed last night :>(