Re: [oletrucks] AD Trivia

To: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] AD Trivia
From: Joe Clark <jclark1@utk.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 07:55:57 -0400
Jack:
Locust lasts forever without any treatment.  They use it here in the
mountains for fence posts because it lasts so long.

I wouldn't think it would make good bed wood though.  As it dries out, the
grain has a tendency to split and it is not a very straight-grained tree so
I suspect it would warp easily.  I imagine this is why we don't see too much
locust furniture or paneling.  IMHO.
Joe
50 3100

At 06:08 AM 4/20/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Michael,
>
>Maybe you or someone else on the list can advise on the use of locust wood
>for a truck bed. My brother in North Carolina has access to some locust, and
>can have it free. From what I have seen it  has a dark, teak-like appearance
>and he says it's pretty tough wood. Comments anyone?
>
>Jack / Winter Park FL

Joe Clark, Southern Appalachian Field Laboratory