Re: [oletrucks] Advance Design front end mods

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Advance Design front end mods
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 14:26:58 -0700
Hi Mark,
Good timing since I'm contemplating the same thing. I read the same "tip" but
have not actually gone out and measured a few trucks in the yards. I posted a
question about dropped axles still being available, however I didn't get any
answers. Looking around in the old yellowed mags I found a ad for Mor Drop Axle
in the Oakland area. I did a search and found a web page for them, which
actually only lists a phone # to call. I called and found they still drop Chevy
(and most anything else) axles on a exchange basis.

(I also found a Feb 77 issue of SR with a article by Pat Ganahl, several pages,
putting a SB Chevy in his 50 AD)

The price I was quoted was 2" - $250, 3" - $275, and 4" - $300. Core charge is
(oouch) $500!! plus you pay shipping both ways.
I have no problem with the parallel springs, tube shocks etc in good condition,
however I would like to lower the truck front and rear (later open drive) and
add disk brakes to the front. The 49 AD currently has a 283 bolted to the
original 4 spd with the torque tube rear, with 215/R75's on 7"X15's frt and 8
1/2"X15 Rr. It's no sports car but it handles OK and would be even better with
a rebuilt front and 3 - 4" lower.

Given the above info however, it doesn't seem cost effective to spend that much
on a king pin set, shackles and a disk brake kit plus a dropped axle, plus
shipping (st tx for me also)  Briefly checking it appears a 2" axle may work
OK, but anything more will probably require lowering the tie rod to clear the
springs. This could turn into a big  on-going job with steering geometry
problems, clearance problems, etc which I really don't need.

>     Last week while lurking on this list I saw this address:
>
>          The Poor Man's Advance Design Tech Tip Page
>             http://www.home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/

Let me second your request.
I'm hoping someone(s) who have actually performed this swap will reply either
here or off list. Sure seems like an ideal solution to the problem.

"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

http://home.utm.net/bfischer          e-mail - bfischer@utm.net

robert.fischer@cdc.com

rfischer@worldnet.att.net