Re: [oletrucks] Advance Design front end mods

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Advance Design front end mods
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 11:19:51 EDT
In a message dated 09/07/1999 12:20:40 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
markself@discover.net writes:

<< Good IFS subframe donor vehicles:
  '73 thru '87 Chevy/GMC fullsize 1/2 ton 2wd truck (thru '89 Chevy/GMC
 Suburban 1/2 ton 2wd) complete front suspension and steering. The later
 truck suspension/steering just unbolts. The difference between the older and
 the later frames is the advanced design frame is .5 (1/2) inch narrower on
 each side than the front suspension saddle and needs to be shimmed by a
 spacer (the same for the steering). The swap gets you modern steering
 (power), brakes (power), a-arm suspension, and disc brakes. It also lowers
 the truck by 4 inches with leaving the stock set-up or more with dropped
 spindles. Per J.P. who has done this installation on an 1951 GMC 1/2 ton
 with an 1977 Chevy 1/2 ton front end. Thanks J.P.

      I went to the wrecking yard, but, when I measured the frame, it
 appeared that this truck has a frame that is 29 1/2" wide while my '55 1st
 appears to be 25".  I hope I can use this front end.
      My question, are any of you J.P.?  Do any of know how to contact him?
 Have any of you done this swap, or know of anyone who has done this swap.?
 If this works it has got to be one of the sweetest setupos I've ever seen.

Sorry I don't have any info for you, but it sounds like an excellent swap to
me. I am running stock front springs on my '48 1/2 ton, with a GSPP power
steering conversion and an aftermarket sway bar.  I'm also running a GM tilt
column with shifter for my 700R4. Oh, yes, also a disc brake conversion using
Camaro calipers and rotors. I'd like to lower my front end just a bit (it
sits pretty high with the 235/70R15s on 15x8 steel wheels), but doubt if I'd
switch front ends now, with all I've invested in my current setup. It'd sure
be nice to know of a good setup for my next AD project, though. Keep us all
informed of your experience!

Mike Jensen
48 1/2 ton 5-window