Re: [oletrucks] Advance Design front end mods

To: "Bob Fischer" <bfischer@utm.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Advance Design front end mods
From: "Lonnie L. Dickey" <mdickey@silverback.gorilla.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 02:10:49 -0500
Bob, etal

  I have a running 53 window with a stock front axle. I have made the
necessary
changes to lower the truck 3". I also added disc brakes their required
changes. It
already has some expensive shocks built just for a dropped front end. Other
updates
include a strong/new sway bar, late model replacement tie rod ends and mono
springs. The springs are the actual source of the 3" drop for the front.
Yep, I already
had the king pins rebuilt. Its almost a totally new front end, except for
the original
and authentic axle (just for looks). I also have built a power steering
setup. The
gear box is from a late model full size Chevy pickup, '82 or there abouts. I
probably
wouldn't need it cause an IFS can include a power rack setup.

  The reason I am sending this note is two fold. First, I am contemplating
pulling the
whole setup and installing an IFS. Not a small task AND its expensive.
That's not to
mention the waste of the existing setup. It occurred to me while reading
your note
about dropped axles and disc brakes, that someone(s) may want all the stuff
to rebuild
and update their ride. If someone wants my front end and I could get a
reasonable
return on my investment (read 'cash outlay') less the minimal wear about 400
miles of
use, I could make the jump to IFS. Oh yea. Second, my wife doesn't like the
current
ride and maybe an IFS would make her happy too.

  Anyone out there interested in the whole package?
  Partners could purchase the equipment and split between them.

Lonnie