[oletrucks] From manual to automatic

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] From manual to automatic
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:43:01 -0700
Mike--

Some things to consider:  I'm assuming you have the original V-8 engine
bellhousing setup, with the start that bolts to the bellhousing, and the
crossmember under the bellhousing.  You need a flexplate, of the correct
size for the starter and torque converter you are using.  This will
probably be 14" diameter, 168 tooth, and readily available.  Since you
will remove the bellhousing, the starter will no longer have any place
to bolt to...so, you'll need a later model 350 starter.  If you have a
57 or newer engine, it should have the mounting holes to install it.  It
requires special bolts, also.  If you have this starter already, you
lucked out.

The crossmember will sort of get in the way of the tranny/torque
converter.  Usually they clear, but just barely, and it's usually very
difficult to install the tranny from below with the original crossmember
in place.  You would want to use a tranny jack, but I use a regular 2
ton floor jack, with a special adapter that's just a foot square piece
of 1/4" steel plate, with a pice of pipe welded to it to go in the hole
in the floor jack.  But, the bigger issue is that if you have the stock
front mounts, then you will have to add side mounts to the engine, to
properly support it.  There are crossmember kits available for this.
The original 55-57 engines did not have anywhere to put side mounts, so
hopefully you have a later engine.

You need a shifter, and a tranny cooler (unless there is one built into
your radiator, not likely), and a kickdown cable (this does more than
just run the kickdown...it also boosts line pressure at part throttle,
so the tranny won't burn up).  The original tranny will have the wrong
driveshaft yoke, and most later yokes (fine spline) that fit the tranny
use a different ujoint, so you may need to buy the 3022 adapter ujoint.

The rear crossmember should be relatively easy to install, if you get
the right one.  You will want to carefully measure the angle of the
engine/tranny relative to the frame before you start work, so you can
mount it where it belongs.

If the tranny is used, the odds are that it really needs to be
rebuilt...almost every TH350 that I've taken apart has problems inside.
Of course, by the time you get it in and hooked up you will have used up
all the money that you would have to spend to rebuilt it!

Anyways, I don't mean to discourage you, but you ought to know what
you're getting into...been there, done that!

Jim