Re: [oletrucks] From manual to automatic

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] From manual to automatic
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:21:43 -0700
Mike--

Good to hear you alread have all the newer stuff in your truck, so the
swap should be relatively easy.

The vacuum hose goes to manifold (not carburetor) vacuum.  I've seen
this hose connected to ported vacuum on the carb, and the owner wonders
why it won't shift...

The detent (kickdown) cable is a mechanical cable that connects to the
throttle linkage at the carb, and to the tranny near the dipstick hole.
If you don't have the cable, you will need to buy one, but of course
they make several different lengths with different ends, and the one you
need depends on the mounting bracket you use.  I think Pep Boys has/had
these cables for sale, or you could try a tranny shop or NAPA, Big A or
similar "real" parts store.  Used to be you could buy a bracket at the
local Chevy dealer, the best one is probably for a mid 70s truck with a
4bbl 350 engine and 350 tranny.  They are also available from the street
rod places, but usually in stainle$$ $teel.

When it's time to install the cable, you will probably be better off
attatching it to the tranny before you get the tranny under the
truck...so you can see what you're doing.  The wire sticking out of the
tranny (thru the hole) has to connect to the end of the inner
cable...you should be able to figure it out when you look at it.

Fun, fun, fun...
Jim