Re: [oletrucks] plywood bed

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] plywood bed
From: Andrew Roberts <arobs@becker.u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 00:41:27 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Bob Fischer wrote:

> Hi Norm,
> I have a possible alternative, I'm sure there are many others also. When I
> was building my teardrop trailer I used 5 sheets of 1/4" marine plywood to
> make two 4X10' sheets of 1/2" plywood to cut the side pieces from.
> The 5th sheet is cut into 4 - 2ft lengths. Two sheets are laid on top of
> each other staggered by 2ft and then a 2ft section is added to each side.
> (Used Elmers waterproof glue)

Maybe the TFs are different, but my AD's bed wood is 3/4" thick.

Carpenter's glue may be sufficient when covering the wood with sheet metal
or plate, but a good epoxy such as Gougeon (West System) or MAS will
really penetrate into the wood and seal it (as well as being stronger than
the wood itself).  I'll add to the above recommendation for marine grade
plywood.  I was able to do my bed with a sheet of 3/4" marine grade
mohagany plywood that I was lucky enough to find at Home Depot for about
$45.  Since the sides of the boards aren't visible, it looks just like
mohagany planking.  Marine grade has no voids or knots, and is made with
more plys for greater strength.  Well worth the extra $$, IMHO.

Andrew Roberts
1949 3600