Re: [oletrucks] Wheel Spacers

To: lstphil1@rochester.rr.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Wheel Spacers
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:03:02 EST
In a message dated 11/23/99 8:48:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lstphil1@rochester.rr.com writes:

> Hi All,
>  I have a "new" power steering system on my 59 GMC which uses a valve
>  assembly as a drag link . The valve body actuates the steering arm manually
>  and also powers a hydraulic assist ram tied between the stock front axle
and
>  the tie rod. The problem is at full left turn the tire rubs the valve
>  assembly before it reaches the hard stop. I have stock drum brakes and 15"
>  rims but the truck is lowered front and rear (2 1/2" to 3") with monoleaf
>  springs. The shop assisting me wants to add a 1/4" to 3/8" thick spacer
>  behind the wheel to eliminate the interference. My question is regarding
the
>  advisability of this modification in terms of safety , wheel alignment,
>  handling , and anything else I've forgotten to worry about. Thanks in
>  advance.
>  Eric A. St.Phillips
>  1959 GMC 100 (coming home tomorrow)
>  Fairport, NY

  Hey Eric,

  The wheel spacers are a popular item for those who want to run 4th gen
(93+) F-Body wheels on their 3rd gen ('82-'92) F-Bodies, noone has a
complaint as of yet, lotta guys run autocross this way as well as drag race.

  I'm not advocating either way, just passing along some info.

Mike