Re: [oletrucks] shop buildings

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] shop buildings
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 10:03:56 -0600
For my 6600 sq ft metal building, I went with BC Steel Buildings out of
Oklahoma City. The size you want wont be the project mine was so I would
consider a metal structure for durability. Besides, when you price lumber
you will see why everyone is going with steel. Have a professional pour the
concrete complete with stud bolts per the really nice blueprints you get
with your building, and you are off and running. I found borrowing a
forklift to be a real lifesaver. Its an ackward job to do yourself since you
need to put 4" insulation between the sheets of metal, but I devised a few
tools to hold things in place. Took me about 1-1/2 months to complete. My
arms were quite sore after driving a few thousand of those self tapping
screws, but it was more than worth it!

When you are ready to partition the inside, I will share with you how to
turn discarded pallets (the ones that use 2x4's) into very strong 2x4 stud
walls by joining the ends (for the required length) using a table mounted
router, a finger joint bit, and a home-made pressing table to compress the
joints. That is if you have a source for pallets. I have made over 2000
studs and partitioned my building with them. It was an investment in time,
but the lumber was free as opposed to somewhere around $3.00 a stud. The end
result is straighter and stronger than the pine studs you can buy nowadays
cut outta new trees (since there is nothing else left).