Re: [oletrucks] shop buildings

To: Deve Krehbiel <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] shop buildings
From: ADvent@thuntek.net
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 12:37:00 -0700
One thing to consider when thinking about metal buildings is the snow load. In
Ok. City, there is not a snow problem. I used to live in Enid, north of Yukon 90
miles which is just west of Ok. City and it never did snow that much. Metal may
just be fine. i live in snow country where 16 feet of snow in one winter is not
uncommon. Those metal buildings cannot take that kind of snow. What do you think
would happen if you got a 3 foot wet snow and all that weight is pressing down
on the roof? besides metal buildings look like a converted gas station. My shop
I am building is a 24X24X12 feet with 5/12 pitch and I am considering scissor
trusses for even more clearance in the middle. My walls will be 2X6's and 16" on
center with T-111 siding. It will look very nice and be strong with about a 60
pound snow load. You could park a couple pickups on the roof and not worry. And
5/8 plywood or OSB for roof sheathing will make a roof that will last longer
than I will. My footing is 18" wide by 18" deep with a 6" stem wall from a foot
in the back to 3 feet high in the front. Next week, I hope to pout the stem
wall, the forms are all ready. The slab will be 4" with the new fiber instead of
wire and along the walls the slab will be thicker, maybe about 18" so I can
mount a lift inside. i can't do the heavy shovel work myself, so I would rather
pay more for concrete and fill with that. It will increase my concrete cost
about a hundred bucks, much less than the labor to fill with dirt and the
compacting time.  Concrete is cheap. Why fill with dirt and pay someone to do it
when you can pour that concrete in a hour or so? All in all, it is cheaper. I
used 7½ yards for my footings, but I didn't have a lot of labor to pay. My
footings cost me about $350 with payed labor from my neighbors. Any comments?