Re: [oletrucks] A word about POR-15

To: "Rich Gallagher" <rgallagrrr@mcn.net>, <CLLLSLS@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] A word about POR-15
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 02:02:08 -0800
>I really wasn't that impressed with POR 15 overall. It's really no
>substitute
>for sandblasting or commercial dipping.

I like using this kind of stuff (my version is State Chemical's Defender II)
for hidden areas that will be exposed to water, such as the insides of
doors, the back of the grille, etc.

In one case I coated such an area, the well of a rear vent window in a '55
Buick, and left the other side uncoated.  Several years later I removed both
windows to replace weather strip, and the coated side looked like the day I
applied it, while the uncoated side was developing serious rust.  Needless
to say, I applied it to the second side.

The Defender II, unlike POR 15, is water based, and cleans up easily with
soap and water, as long as it hasn't dried.  If it dries, though, it takes
about the same three weeks to come off your hands.

I've been using the same gallon jug for about ten years (application with a
brush is much more efficient than spraying) so I don't know if it's even
still available.  Good stuff.

Regards,

Grant S.