Re: [oletrucks] A word about POR-15

To: "Bruce Damen" <little-castle-contracting@cadvision.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] A word about POR-15
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 09:51:29 -0800
>isnt more like condinsation in the air moist air hitting the steel than
moisture
>coming out of the steel??

Hi Bruce,

I may have been asleep in physics class that day.  My non-scientific
understanding of these things would make me doubt that the part of the steel
being heated would occasion condensation.  Doesn't heat  encourage the water
to stay in suspension?  I'd think that the heated portion would be less
likely to promote condensation than the cool edges, but the water appears
precisely in the heated areas and then evaporates.

I can't figure out then why the water would appear only in the heated
portion of the steel if the moisture was atmospheric.  The steel, by the
way, was at room temp before being heated, so it wasn't a case of a
difference in temp between the air and the unheated steel.

The movement of the water to the heated surface is also most noticeable on
thicker pieces of steel, which (according to my hypothesis) hold more water.
If the water source were atmospheric, you'd expect to see the phenomenon on
thin steel too, but that's not what happens.  No doubt there's some there,
but it all evaporates too quickly to get a good look at it.

Regards

Grant S.