Re: [oletrucks] Removing VERY stuck pistons

To: CLLLSLS@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Removing VERY stuck pistons
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 01:45:58 EST
In a message dated 2/13/00 9:20:21 PM Pacific Standard Time, CLLLSLS@aol.com
writes:

>  Hey everyone,
>
>  Finally found a 270 GMC. It's in excellent shape for being outside with no
>  head for 20+ years. Got the crank out with thousands of blows with a big
> dead
>  blow and a quart of aerokroil (Damn good stuff!), but the pistons are
rusted

>  in the bores so tight they might as well be considered cast in there. I
need

>  to reuse the rods, so destructive  piston removal methods can't be too
>  destructive. I've heard of putting the head on the engine then filling the
>  chamber with acetylene/oxygen, replacing the spark plug and igniting with
> BBQ
>  ignitor. Or freezing the pistons and breaking them apart. What's worked
for
>  you guys? I really don't feel like missing with a 12 pound sledge and
taking

>  off a corner of the block. There's gotta be a better way. Please help.
>
>  Dustin
>  50 & 53 GMC 1/2 tons

  I've let white vinegar sit in an old flathead motor before, kept topping it
off every day for a three weeks.  Kept giving the pistons a few taps each
day, finally broke loose.

  Beware though, once I got the pistons out I couldn't afford at that time
for the oversize bore and new pistons, the rust ate quit a bit into the
cylinders.

  Mike