Re: [oletrucks] Air Compressor Update

To: Deve Krehbiel <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Air Compressor Update
From: jls <jls@seavcom.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 13:26:44 -0700 (PDT)
Hey Dave,

I've done the same thing.  Plus a couple ideas that might work for others
as well.  I've mounted one of my compressors above the garage door on the
inside wall.  How I got it up there is another story.  Also I've plumbed
both compressors into an 60 gallon tank from a water heater.  The tank
is also mounted above the garage door.  This leaves one compressor that I
can roll out to wherever and one stationary in the shop.  The extra air
tank helps reduce the load on the pumps.

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Deve Krehbiel wrote:

> I have some pretty good news for those of you who are thinking about more
> compressor power. I have a 6-1/2 horse, 120 psi, 10CFM compressor and it is
> simply not enough. When using the blast cabinet I can maintain 60 psi max
> with the compressor running non-stop. Worse trying to use a DA Sander. It
> stops completely after about 20 seconds unless I hover very lightly over the
> work. Die grinders, air drills, etc.. same story. I siphon sandblasted my
> entire cab and sheet metal with 60 psi and it took me 6 days on the cab and
> another 7 days or so on all the rest of the sheet metal. It was annoying to
> say the very least.
>
> I got input from some of you and researched a bit further and decided to
> DOUBLE the output (the CFM I was getting was closer to 6 than 10) to about
> 12-16 CFM at 120 PSI by simply adding another like compressor into the mix.
> I purchased a nice Campbell/Hausfeld compressor (same specs as the other
> one) and simply added it into the existing air line. Since the specs are the
> same, there is no adjustment necessary. It doesnt matter which one comes on
> first (in this case the new one is set slightly higher than the old one)
> because its highly improbable that they will ever come on at the exact same
> time. With two compressor pumps pumping the pressure up, the very minimum I
> now get when doing my best (using the blast cabinet or the DA Sander) is 100
> PSI and as a norm about 110. It completely solved my problem. It will use
> less electricity than before since the motors dont stop and start nearly as
> much and the only drawback is the space needed for two compressors.
>
> Another advantage is the cost. I can purchase these floor models at $397
> each from Harbor Freight and they are the good Campbell/Hausfelds. So,
> another $400 solved the problem. The other solution was a $1300 15 horse two
> stage so I saved a lot of money. I figure I can run almost anything now. If
> only I would have done this a few months ago but isnt that how it works?
>
> Deve Krehbiel
> Hesston, Kansas
> 1950 3100 * 1949 3600
> www.speedprint.com/Deves50/index.html