Re: [oletrucks] Shop Hoist Engineering Question

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Shop Hoist Engineering Question
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 14:31:45 -0700
The system could work if properly detailed, however heavy steel and timber
systems typically do not mix.  Next, a 24-foot span is really long,
therefore I assume you plan on properly bracing the beam along it's length.
You'll need to know the maximum live load (dynamic loads are caused by wind
and seismic, not transient loads such as motors and the like) you expect to
lift.  I've been a practicing engineer for over 15 years and teach the stuff
now.  Given the consequences of failure (based on the size of your steel
beam), I'd suggest you talk to a real live engineer to size the supports and
more importantly, the bracing (isn't it worth the $100 or $200 to have a
structural engineer size the system out for you?).  Lastly, this may sound
conservative, but I'd question any engineering that is offered over the
internet for your application.  Remember, safety first.

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100