Re: [oletrucks] getting adapters on spindles for DB

To: RobXR250@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] getting adapters on spindles for DB
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:13:05 EDT
In a message dated 8/11/00 9:55:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time, RobXR250@aol.com
writes:

> Ok, im a little, well........frustrated. I bought the front disc brake kit
>  from chevy duty for my '50 3100. I heated the adapters that go on the
>  spindles in my oven like one of the guys there told my to. I pounded the
>  adapters on to the spindles while they were still EXTREMELY hot, and got
> them
>  to go on only half way. What the hell do i do now!? I know a guy that has
>  couple of presses, but i dont know if the spindles will come off of the
axel.

>  Will they? Or can the adapters be pressed on to the spindles while the
>  spindles are still on the front axel.
>
>  Thank you, alot,
>  Rob

  Rob,

  Although I've not used the adapter you're using, I've made several sleeves
for bearings and other things over the years....what you should first do is
check the ID of the sleeve and the OD of the spindle, anymore than .002-.003
will be a tough fit for the thin sleeve (infact .003 may be tough as
well)...in this case you need to get some fine emery cloth and begin
polishing the spindle (which should be done first anyways to remove any nicks
or burrs).

  Don't ream out the sleeve, polish the spindle....I'd suggest removing what
you have on, and get another one, and measure it...don't assume that even the
new one will be the same size as the old one.

  Get everything ready when you're about to install it, should be done in one
or two raps...as soon as the sleeve touches the spindle, it begins to cool
and shrink, so ya gotta be quick.

Mike