Re: [oletrucks] getting adapters on spindles for DB

To: RobXR250@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] getting adapters on spindles for DB
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:07:18 -0400
Rob, you are screwed. Well not really. It's a good idea to measure an
interference fit before trying to assemble. Any more that  .003 or so should be
machined IMO. That said what happened is exactly your worst nightmare. You can
try getting a better fitting drift as not to damage the adapters and a bigger
hammer. You could try heating with a torch but would have to be quick and
perhaps
use a temp stick that indicates temp as not to exceed 400 or 500. These are
available at weld shops. You need to be quick to heat the adapters before the
spindles start expanding.  Try is after you calm down a little. Sometimes going
back the next day is the secret to success. I'm sure you already know excessive
heat is not desirable on hardened material. What ever works or doesn't I
wouldn't
go over 500. The spindles will come off  and perhaps this would be a good time
get intimate with your king pins. Pressing on a too tight interference fit is
not
the best way either, as it can score as you do so but may be your last option
other than cutting off and trying again with new adapters.
  Of course someone may have already done this and have the perfect solution. My
recommendations are based on generalities of what we do in aerospace shop.

Grant