Re: [oletrucks] gas tank replacement

To: jrdorsey@strato.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] gas tank replacement
From: Advdesign1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 06:24:18 EDT
John,
Iagree with your gas tank placement.  I wrote this up for Pickukps 'n Panels
in print, June 1998.  I don't like behind the rear axle placement  because of
FMVSS 301.  "To pass the test, a vehicle's fuel tank must remain intact and
not leak more than one ounce per minute for five minutes following a 30 mph
rear end collision.  The test is conducted by ramming a stationary vehicle
from behind with a 4000 pound mobile barrier."  I concluded, for people who
insist on moving their AD in cab tank, to use a panel/ suburban tank in front
of the rear axle, inside the frame.  These are currently available new in
stainless steel for close to $500.  Maybe cheaper in plastic or plain steel.
I believe most people have ideas of safety that do not agree with conclusions
for real risk assessment studies, which the Fed safety std. addresses.  My
article was against tank placement just in front of the rear bumper.

Bob ADler