Re: [oletrucks] gas tank replacement

To: Advdesign1@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] gas tank replacement
From: jls <jls@seavcom.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 13:29:40 -0700 (PDT)
I'm considering using a suburban style tank in a '54 1/2 ton.
Does anyone have a picture of one of these, preferably mounted in a frame
so I can see what I'd be up against.  Is there still plenty of room for
dual exhaust?  Where does the fill spout come out?  How 'bout an pen
driveline?

I appreciate your help.

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 Advdesign1@aol.com wrote:

> John,
> Iagree with your gas tank placement.  I wrote this up for Pickukps 'n Panels
> in print, June 1998.  I don't like behind the rear axle placement  because of
> FMVSS 301.  "To pass the test, a vehicle's fuel tank must remain intact and
> not leak more than one ounce per minute for five minutes following a 30 mph
> rear end collision.  The test is conducted by ramming a stationary vehicle
> from behind with a 4000 pound mobile barrier."  I concluded, for people who
> insist on moving their AD in cab tank, to use a panel/ suburban tank in front
> of the rear axle, inside the frame.  These are currently available new in
> stainless steel for close to $500.  Maybe cheaper in plastic or plain steel.
> I believe most people have ideas of safety that do not agree with conclusions
> for real risk assessment studies, which the Fed safety std. addresses.  My
> article was against tank placement just in front of the rear bumper.
>
> Bob ADler
>
> In a message dated 8/26/00 11:50:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> jrdorsey@strato.net writes:
>

> >  Bob, I would never challenge you on old truck knowledge, but this is out
> >  of that area and is about how vehicles react in impacts.
> >
> >  For over twenty years I have been dealing with wrecked vehicles, and
> >  have extricated a large amount of victims both living and dead from
> >  mangled vehicles. In all that period of time I have only seen one crash
> >  that the victims Burned To Death after the crash. It was a 1 ton pickup
> >  with a fuel tank mounted in the bed up against the cab. They had slid
> >  sideways into a tree that impacted right were the cab meets the bed, the
> >  back window shattered and allowed fuel into the passenger compartment.
> >  The passenger was probably killed on impact but the autopsy on the
> >  driver showed lung damage from the fire. A witness said the driver was
> >  trying to get out while he was on fire.
> >
> >  It would take less intrusion into the cab to cause a tank leak than to
> >  kill you instantly. Most fatality victims do not die on impact, but from
> >  shock and blood loss over at least several minutes. Even if a wreck is
> >  bad enough to give fatal injuries at the same time it releases gasoline
> >  I think spending the last few minutes of ones life on fire would be less
> >  than pleasant!
> >
> >  The safest place for a gas tank is inside the frame rail in front of the
> >  axle and if I had a pickup that's where I would put it.

Thanks,
-JLS