Re: [oletrucks] oil air bath - keeping it original

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] oil air bath - keeping it original
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:11:59 -0800
>I can't answer to the air cleaner, though it seems like any exotic metal
>like aluminum would be unlikely in 45.  Same with stainless.  A magnet
>would tell for sure.

I stripped and repainted two of these air cleaners over the summer, and they
both appeared to be stainless.  There was not a spot of rust on either.
They are somewhat magnetic, so perhaps they are galvanized mild steel, but
usually galvanized shows some corrosion after half a century.  These were
both in rough shape so if corrosion were possible, I'd have seen some.  I'm
still inclined to believe stainess.

In addition to the JB Weld, which is an excellent idea, another alternative
would be to fill the hole with solder.  If you can get the solder to stick,
it may be a little easier to file down than JB.  Rough up the metal with
sandpaper and use a good flux.  I usually use acid paste, but sometimes,
when that doesn't work, I use powdered flux made for old time body solder.
It's the best solder flux I know.  Smooth with a hand file.

Regards,

Grant S.