Re: [oletrucks] pinion flage nut question.

To: "A.B." <bigfred@unm.edu>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] pinion flage nut question.
From: Wayne Osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:48:32 -0500
Not sure if that particular rear had a crush sleeve or not, I've never
taken one apart. If you just replaced the seal, shouldn't be no big deal.
The crush sleeve and all the gear meshing measurement pertain if you take
the rear end apart and have to reset up the shims. I'm no expert on this
but would think installing the nut to the torque setting mention in the
manual would be fine, these nuts on a later model rear have the nut that
has the nylon on 'em so they don't work loose. I'd install the nut till the
axles start turning and see what torque reading your at--probably be closer
to the mentioned specs that you think.
--wayne   (trying to help)