Re: [oletrucks] pinion flage nut question.

To: "Wayne Osborne" <wayne@chevytrucks.org>, "A.B." <bigfred@unm.edu>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] pinion flage nut question.
From: "Mike Baggese" <passnb4u@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:12:31 -0800
OKay,

  I see where you're coming from.

  I just looked in my '58 shop manual. I assume you're just replaceing the
seal/flange? What they want you do is (with axles and ring gear intact,
brakes backed off) is to first measure the preload required to run the
whole sha-bang.

This becomes your reference point.

Say you have the rear in the air, brakes backed off and you measure
25inch-lbs of rotational forces to spin everything.

Mark that number dowon.

Now remove the pinion nut, replace what's needed, and install the large
pinion nut to 200ft/lbs and stop.

Check the rotational torque and compare to the reading you wrote down.
  Tighten/loosen as needed to maintain the original in/lb reading.

Keep in mind that the pinion nut torque spec is 200-240ft/lbs.

See the end of the rearend section for specifications.

--- passnb4u@earthlink.net