Re: [oletrucks] pinion flage nut question.

To: "Wayne Osborne" <wayne@chevytrucks.org>, "A.B." <bigfred@unm.edu>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] pinion flage nut question.
From: "Mike Baggese" <passnb4u@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:48:8 -0800
Let me explain a bit.

The in/lb rating you see/refer to is the amount of rotational torque needed
on the pinion bearings, measured without the axles or the ring gear
installed.

This is the pinion bearing preload.

In order to accomplish this, you need to add/subtract shims from the races
on the pinion shaft and tighten the pinion nut to 150-175 (or whatever
youspec call for) FT/LB.

Once the pinion nut is tightened to say 175FT/LBs, then you take a in/lb
torque wrench and rotate the pinion shaft (via the pinion nut) and measure
the required torque it take to maintain it spinning, not the amount of
torque required to start iot spinning (which will be higher) but what it
takes to keep it spinning.

Again, if the amount is too low or too high, you need to add/remove shims
to get the correct torque.

You can see whay you can't set the in/lb preload while spining the axles
and ringgear...because the rotational forces applied by each will most
likely be more than the pinion bearing pre-load setting required.

  Now I've never set up an original TF rear, but have done a few Dana's and
Spicers from later model cars and trucks, the original TF rear is a bit
different as I recall, I'll look in one of my manuals to see if there's any
quirks.

--- Mike
--- passnb4u@earthlink.net