Re: [oletrucks] Brakes -

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, "Mark Coopet" <markc@greatlakeseng.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Brakes -
From: kevin.s.brown@gm.com
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:08:58 -0600
Mark,

Are you doing a double or single flare?  When dealing with lower pressure
lines, like fuel lines, you can get away with a single flair.  But with
brake lines you need a double flair (basically a flair folded back on
itself) for strength.  If you were only doing a single flair that might be
why you are getting the leaks.  I use a flaring kit from Eastwood that you
can use for either single or double flairs and it works great (even used it
to flair the new line to my kitchen range to replace the one that the
installer botched) - I've never had any leaks with lines that I've flair
with it.

Kevin

                      "Mark Coopet"

                      <markc@greatlakesen        To:
<oletrucks@autox.team.net>
                      g.com>                     cc:

                      Sent by:                   Subject:  [oletrucks] Brakes -

                      owner-oletrucks@aut

                      ox.team.net

                      02/26/2003 01:06 PM

                      Please respond to

                      "Mark Coopet"

Since the demise of my near completed project I have been a bit put off.
The gas tank cracked - leaking everywhere and the engine went out - big
time in September. But I am in the mix again, must be spring coming or
something.
With the gas tank replaced, the interior redone and all working, I turn
to where I left off, a troublesome brake line that has given me trouble
for the past couple of months since the replacement of the whole system.
I have one trouble spot - a "T" that splits the front end lines which
keeps leaking, from one side. Now, I have cut and flared this line
several times and still it seems to not fit right. I haven't replaced
the "T" fitting and can see no evident cracks in the "T". So the short
of it is; do I have to replace the "T"? Is my flare not matching up with
the "T" - for that matter, how many types of flares are there and if
there are many, could my flare tool not match that which the "T" is
set-up for?
Any help would be appreciated.

Mark
1952 GMC 3100 1st.