[oletrucks] Pistons won't go in SB

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Pistons won't go in SB
From: "Justin Earl" <porkchopzz4@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 07:58:40 -0800
Hi all:

I've run into a weird problem with my 350 engine build.  I got the block back
from the machine shop and the cylinders were just cleaned up, not bored.  They
are standard and mic to 4.02.  I got some standard rings and am reusing the
old pistons. The piston grooves have been thoroughly cleaned and then soaked
in a solvent and are completely clean (no carbon).  When I tried to installed
the #1 piston (all pistons were marked when removed) with the rings, it will
not go in.  The ring gap is about .025.  I finally forced it thinking that
there might be a slight ridge still on the bore and once past that it would be
fine..... this thing is super tight all the way down the bore.  Therefore, the
only thing I can figure is that the rings are wrong... too thick or the wrong
ones or something. Has anyone else run into this and can you give me any
advice?

Thank you very much!

Justin Earl
'51 3800 dually