Re: [oletrucks] Hole repair in stepside bedsides

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Hole repair in stepside bedsides
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:14:58 -0700
> Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 16:45:17 -0700
> From: "Mark Self" <mark.self@verizon.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] Hole repair in stepside bedsides
>
> My bedsides have multiple holes drilled in them, for tiedown hooks.
> Since both sides of the metal are visible, what's the procedure for
> filling these holes.  I talked to a couple of welders, they think that
> the heat from welding will distort the metal too much.  Is there a
> non-welding method?  I'm planning on doing the inside of the bedsides
> with Herculiner, if that helps.  What method of welding would work?  I
> see guys in the magazines welding holes like this, and they don't seem
> to be having any trouble.  Am I talking to the wrong welders?

Many years ago, long before I had a MIG welder, I was faced with the
same problem, and I used a propane torch and soldered the holes.  Seemed
to work ok, and it doesn't make enough heat to really warp the metal.
You do have to get to bare steel in the hole for the solder to stick.

But a good bodyman (NOT a welder in a heavy steel welding shop!) should
be able to use a MIG and fix the holes without warping the metal
noticeably.  The trick is to take your time, just do a little welding
then let it cool for several minutes before welding again.  Don't try to
fill the holes all at once!

Another approach is to buy the reproduction bed sides, but they are
expensive.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!