Re: [oletrucks] T-stat, cooling system general info...

To: bigfred@unm.edu, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] T-stat, cooling system general info...
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 16:09:16 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: <bigfred@unm.edu>
To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 1:26 PM
Subject: [oletrucks] T-stat, cooling system general info...

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to get some basic info regarding how my cooling system
> works, or should work.
> I have a totally new system, including motor, heater core, water pump,
> hoses and radiator.
> 1- How does a T-stat work? I have a 180 degree T-stat. Does it *start*
> to open at 180, or is it fully open at 180?
> 2- I have a factory temp gauge in the front of the motor and an
> aftermarket temp gauge in the back of the motor. My back one always
> reads a few degrees hotter then my front one, which I would expect.
> However, I start to get worried when I see it creep up around or above
> 210.  Given that the system is pressurized and the boiling point of H20
> is 212 at sea level, it seems like the system should be able to operate
> at well above 212. Is this correct?

I looked this up for a friend, and it said pressurising a system to 15 PSI
raised the boiling temp 45 degrees. I don't know if this included 50/50
antifreeze/warer or not. The water/antifreeze mixture does raise the boiling
temp. But I think there must be a problem with your system if the temp goes
above 212. Bob K in PHX, AZ.