Re: Sanding Disk for Table Saw

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <jbabcoc@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Sanding Disk for Table Saw
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:10:22 -0400
James Babcock wrote:

> I'm wondering if a sanding disk is available that can be mounted
> in place of the 10" blade on a table saw.

Not being very knowledgeable about table saws, but I doubt that they
are stressed for a "sideways" force.  I would imagine that the bearings
and such are designed for high speed spinning, and forces applied at
a right angle to the shaft.  Putting a sanding disk on instead of a blade
would cause the forces to be in line with the shaft, and it might just not
work very well.

Then again, I know very little about them - last time I use one was in
wood shop in high school (lets just say that Nixon lived in the White
House), and the real sander was not far away...

Tim Mullen

///