Running new gas lines & gas fireplaces

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Running new gas lines & gas fireplaces
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 11:49:11 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

Well, I use tools to do this that are in my shop... :-)

So at the house we just closed on, I need to extend the current gas feed
to the furnace/water heater to a gas range, gas dryer, and a gas line for
a heater in the garage.

The current line is (I need to verify), regular black iron pipe.  I
stopped by Lowe's yesterday to see what I could see in terms of fittings,
etc.

It seems like I'm going to need to cut the existing pipe in half, thread
both ends, then put a T fitting on one side and a Union fitting on the
other side.  Then run the black pipe off the new port the T provides.

Previously I didn't know about union fittings, so stopping by Lowe's was
pretty good to see that.  I couldn't figure out how I could get a T into a
line without some magic reverse threads or something otherwise... :-)  Are
there any issues with Union usage?  Another guy there said that you
ideally want the flow direction to be from the smaller side into the
larger side, but that for gas lines it really didn't matter a ton.  Using
a T (along with threading the pipe myself) would mean I wouldn't have to
disassemble what's already there...

Second, for threading pipe... Can I just buy pipe threading dies?
Anything weird here?

Third, I want to just use regular teflon tape for sealing, correct?  No
code issues with that?

Any recommendations on the correct way to do a gas fireplace log?
According to the home inspector guy, apparently lots of folks update
existing fireplaces by just running the gas line up through the cleanout
duct in the chimney?  I dunno much of anything about gas fireplace logs
though...

For the other stuff (gas dryer, range, and line for the shop) I'm planning
on just running the line to that area, poking it up through the floor /
wall, then putting a shutoff valve right there.  Anything else I need to
plan on doing?

When cutting the existing line, do I just shut off the gas feed, then
relieve the pressure on the line, then cut it with a sawzall or whatever?
Or do I need to somehow purge the line with air first?

For supporting the new lines, can I just use a right angle drill and run
the pipe through the floor joists (or whatever they're called) when going
perpendicular to them and some round tube hangers when going parallel to
the joists?  Or does the pipe need, via code or something, to be run under
the joists?

Thanks very much for any pointers.  With the new house, finances insist
that I do the work myself unless I really, really, really shouldn't be.
I'm a competent person, willing to buy tools I don't already have, etc.
but I also haven't played with gas lines at this level before.  I want to
do this safely and to normal codes of course.

Thanks!

Mark