Re: Latest stupid flasher trick

To: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Latest stupid flasher trick
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 21:45:25 -0400
At 07:55 PM 5/4/98 -0400, Kevin B. Rhodes wrote:
>BTW - How does one remove the section of instrument panel in front of the
>driver? And the hazard switch? Haynes provides no guidance at all, as usual.

Dear "Flasher",

The instrument panel removal is detailed in the Bentley manual, and
coincidentally, the Bentley Spitfire Manual is on sale at Special Interest
Car  Parts in RI for $35 US.   No interest, yada-yada-yada....

Bentley sez you don't have to totally remove the panel, though. To remove
the switch only: (on my '79)

1.      Remove tach (you can also remove the speedo, but that's a lot more
work)

2.      unscrew hazard light knob & remove bulb. (I recommend replacing the
bulb with something dimmer)

3.      remove the engine and transmission (never mind, just seeing if you were
paying  attention) :)

4.      unscrew the locking ring to the hazard switch, don't damage the wood
unless you have shipwrights disease

5.      unplug and remove hazard switch

6.      have a beer.

7.      replace in reverse order (the hardest step of all)

PS, by the sound of your description, I would also check all the grounds,
especially the one near the radiator, and the fuse box for corrosion.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO

Succasunna, NJ USA

OPTIMIST: A Spitfire owner who expects his car to run FLAWLESSLY and
fastens his seat belts BEFORE starting his car.