Re: spitfire questions

To: tomomalley@hey.net
Subject: Re: spitfire questions
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 19:50:23 -0600
Hi Tom,

Just a thought on adding that extra thickness.  Keep in mind that the
latch bolts to the bonnet directly, anything you add in that area to
stiffen it up will force the edge of the bonnet out by that same
amount.  That could be benificial and it could also be a hindrence
depending on the fit you currently have with your bonnet.

> In an effort to hedge my bets I'm going to take a different
> approach. I'm going to re-inforce the backs of the cutouts with
> another piece of 20 gauge steel that's spot welded to the original
> wing for a distance of four inches or so.  The bonnet latch mounting
> screws will then pass through both pieces.  What I'm hoping to do is
> spread the loading over a greater area...we'll see. :-)
>

> Cheers!
> Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
> '74, '77 Spits

Brad  (In Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Slowly gathering the needed parts)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Frame painted, now suspension)