Re: spitfire questions

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: spitfire questions
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 22:39:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Brad Kahler wrote:

> Just a thought on adding that extra thickness.  Keep in mind that the
> latch bolts to the bonnet directly, anything you add in that area to
> stiffen it up will force the edge of the bonnet out by that same
> amount...

Many (perhaps most) Spits, Heralds, etc., with this latch have some
thickness of paper shim behind the catch on the side of the bulkhead. If
the extra reinforcing metal behind the latch were to affect anything, I
imagine one could compensate with thinner shims behind that catch.

And, hey, just how many of us have absolutely perfect, straight, totally
UNSPRUNG and unsplit (around the hinges or along the bottom "flange"
below the latch) bonnets?  :-)

--Andy