Re: spitfire questions

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: spitfire questions
From: larry hooven <dirty_howi@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 07:39:03 -0700 (PDT)

---Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov> wrote:

> Tom O'Malley wrote:
>
> > > ...I'm going to re-inforce the backs of the cutouts with
> > > another piece of 20 gauge steel that's spot welded to the original
> > > wing for a distance of four inches or so.  The bonnet latch
mounting
> > > screws will then pass through both pieces.  What I'm hoping to
do is
> > > spread the loading over a greater area...we'll see. :-)
>
> On Wed, 20 May 1998, Brad Kahler wrote:
>
> > Just a thought on adding that extra thickness.  Keep in mind that
the
> > latch bolts to the bonnet directly, anything you add in that area
> > stiffen it up will force the edge of the bonnet out by that same
> > amount...
>
> Many (perhaps most) Spits, Heralds, etc., with this latch have some
> thickness of paper shim behind the catch on the side of the
bulkhead. If
> the extra reinforcing metal behind the latch were to affect
anything, I
> imagine one could compensate with thinner shims behind that catch.
>
> And, hey, just how many of us have absolutely perfect, straight,
totally
> UNSPRUNG and unsplit (around the hinges or along the bottom "flange"
> below the latch) bonnets?  :-)

errrrrr....as far as i can tell.....me....save one really small
shopping cart type dent in the right front, which has already been
pulled out as an experiment for a friend who works for a body tool
manufacturer...

> --Andy
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> * Vintage Triumph Register                  *
> * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *

==
larry, 1979 spitfire fm99248u awaiting more bits and pieces...

on the web at http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/9311  _NEW AND
IMPROVED_ FASTER PICCYS

No Plan Ever Survives The First Contact Intact.