Re: Clutch trouble

To: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch trouble
From: Bob & Linda Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 18:52:56 -0400

Kevin B. Rhodes wrote:

> Freddy is acting up this week! First I noticed that the clutch felt "weird"
> - when I push in on the pedal, the last bit of travel feels springy, like I
> am pushing up against a bunch of foam rubber of something. Today I noticed
> that there is a pronounced whirring - not quite a squeal - sound at the
> same time. The sound occurs once I am into the "springy" feeling part of
> the clutch travel. Shifting is still fine - no trouble getting into first
> or reverse. Any ideas?? I am thinking throw out bearing is going. Freddy is
> a 77 Spit with a 69 1300 motor.
>
> TIA
> Kevin Rhodes

 Sounds to me like some of the tabs on your spring plate may be bent. Happend
to me with the 'cheap' clutch kit. Instead of fewer, wider (stronger) tabs it
had more narrower (weaker) tabs and some of them bent. Next time I got the more
expensive kit with fewer but stronger tabs.

Cheers

--
Bob & Linda in Rockledge, Florida
THE SPACE COAST