RE: spitfire names (New Topic)

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: spitfire names (New Topic)
From: "BJ Martin" <bj_martin@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 05:14:53 PDT
>To answer your question about the V8 conversion, I never got serious
enough
>about the conversion to try figuring out the logistics of making the
engine
>fit.  With the "open" bay of the Spitfire I can't imagine it'd be too
hard,

I watched a guy in Santa Barbara build one of these and yah, it's a
whole new car. The engine weight is almost the same as the Spitfire's
(actually a bit lighter, I think). Definitely not a bolt-in. He
stretched the frame (and bonnet) about 4 inches. Starting with a GT6
bonnet he still had to cut a hole. I think he had to redesign the
sump... on and on. And then we get to the transmission.... and then we
get to consider that the rearend of a spit can hardly hold itself
together with 70 hp spinning it. brent