Re: Gas milage

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>, Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Gas milage
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 21:11:21 -0500
At 07:28 PM 11/2/98 -0500, John T. Blair wrote:
>I got my 1500 on the road back in Feb.  But I've been having all kinds
>of carb problems.  I have the original Zenith CD4s. Finally, I have one that
>pretty much works.  I need to rebuild the original one - one of these days.
>Anyway, I'm wondering what type of gas milage most of you are getting.  I
>just filled mine up - got about 17-18mpg.  That seems a little low to me.
>
>Any thoughts.

Yeah.  Thats the kind of gas mileage I got with my original ZS carb with
the worn jet. Unfortunately those things are unrepairable.  The
spring-loaded needle wears an oblong hole in the jet, and the jet is
non-replacable.   So sez Mr SU, Joe Curto.

Before rebuilding any of the ones you have, pull the needle/piston assy and
look at the jet hole with a magnifying glass.  If it's not round, don't
bother with it.

Makes the $380 downdraft  Weber kit from British Parts Northwest more
attractive, doesn't it?   That's the way I'm going when my present carb
packs it in.

P.S. the ZS carb in my car presently provides 30 to 35 mpg.  That's a
comfortable 200 to 250 miles a tankful.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire 1500