RE: Horn Push Button Disection

To: "'Jerry'" <lensman@erols.com>,
Subject: RE: Horn Push Button Disection
From: "Bowley, Glenn (GC CT)" <glenn.bowley@gerbercoburn.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 07:36:56 -0500
Jery-
I had the same problem on my '75 when I bought it 3 years ago. I traced the
problem down to the horn button itself,
and dissected it to see if I could fix it. My button was indeed the culprit,
I found that the button uses a conical coil spring
of some copper/phosphor bronze material. The spring has a contact in the
center for shorting the housing to ground. This had broken off, and was not
doing it's job. Also there is a plastic piece in there somewhere, (been a
while since I did this) that
was broken due to age/brittleness. Basically I just soldered a square piece
of brass sheet metal on top of the broken coil spring that would allow the
horn to short to ground. My advice would be to take a look and see if you
can fix it, if it isn't too beat up, you may be able to salvage it.
Good luck!
Glenn Bowley
Mansfield, CT, USA
'75 Spit (FM30644U)