Re: Triumph Panelwork

To: <McGaheyRx@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph Panelwork
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 08:40:49 -0000
> So whats up John ? Are you saying someone might be considering
manufacturing
> other body tubs ?

No, Jack! My query to the list was purely conjecture. I just wanted to
try and gauge
whether the panelwork market is being better supported for 'B' and
Spridget than it is
for general Triumph - apart from the TR6. IMHO, it is but I think this
is primarily because
of the many rust traps and consequential problems with SpridgeB - and
of course more were
made in the first place without major modifications to the basic
structures.

>From what I've seen of threads over the last year or so, it's clear
some people are having
problems locating certain components and I wanted to find out (if poss)
whether there was
a predominant difficulty or shortage. The list hasn't told me that in
terms whereby it could
be quantified - but I've got a useful idea.

The problem with Spitfire / GT6 / Herald is that the tooling was
largely scrapped before someone had
the foresight to save it. This is a common Triumph problem which
Heritage has on a number of fronts.
Not so with Spridge'B' and TR6.

Of course, anything is possible and tooling can always be re-created -
but at what cost? Then,
if tooling was assembled together, there has to be a quantifiable
demand at a price that people
will accept. Assessing potential demand and price acceptability vis a
vis re-tooling costs and still
turning a profit at the end of the day is the key question. My own
feeling is that the equation is
presently unsolvable. Footwells and battery boxes might be exceptions.

Overall, my thanks to EVERYONE who replied and please don't start
getting ideas. My input was just a
question and nothing more should be read into it AT ALL!

Regards and Ta's

John Mac