Bonnet prop hell

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bonnet prop hell
From: "Neil McAllister" <neil.mcallister@fvrl.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 22:54:53 -800
Hi all,

You may recall my request of last week regarding correct hood (bonnet) prop
installation.  Thanks to all who responded; in the end I decided that mine was
pretty well installed, but, in the interests of originality, I would make one
change suggested by Atwell and move the bottom end to the inside (engine side)
of the lower bracket.  That done, I carefully lowered the bonnet, and watched
in sheer horror as the prop came to rest ontop of the clutch hydraulic line
as it makes it's way along the front edge of the firewall shelf.  A close look
at the line indicates the prop has been resting on it for some time now.

I then tried almost every possible combination; none worked.  Now I'm wondering
if I'm using the correct mounting hole in the  bonnet.  There are two; I have
been using the rearward one (that sits inside the stamped channel valley in
the wheel arch). The forward hole just seems to make the whole thing bind up.

 I believe the prop should be installed with the long straight shaft with the
limiter on the bottom and the limiter should sit on top of the upper rod.

I know this isn't exactly rocket science; but any and all advice most welcome.

Thanks,

Neil
Neil R. McAllister
Acting Adult Services Librarian