Tires

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tires
From: Paul Jacobson <digigraf@connexus.net.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:34:42 +1100
Hi

I've been lurking on the list for a week or so and decided I should post
something.

I'm currently in the process of getting a '67 (?) Mk II Spit back on the road.
The car had been off the road for about 9 years when I bought it, allegedly
with a clutch problem. It turned out to be more serious that that. It soon
became obvious that the thrust washers had worn and dropped into the sump. So
out with the engine, more bad news came when the machine shop crack tested the
crank, yes of course it was cracked... anyway i'll have the motor back next
week, and the car should be back in action for summer.

Obviously the tyres are not in peak condition after sitting for so long
(despite having about 70-80% tread) so I thought that the listees might have
some opinions on what rubber i should go for. The car is currently fitted with
13 x 5.5 TR7 mags and 185/70 13 Michelins. I was thinking of getting a set of
yokohama A509 185/60 13's. I am  more interested in performance than 100%
originality as the engine has been modded to "Stage Two" levels and sports a 45
weber (btw does anyone know the K&N part numbers for a suitable filter unit?)
and there rear end has been converted to a Mk IV spring.

tia

Paul

        Digital Graffiti
web design consultants