Re: Spit steering column and oil pan question

To: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Subject: Re: Spit steering column and oil pan question
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:27:30 -0800
Dave Chu wrote:

> I finally got my order from Rimmer brother last week along with the upper
> steering wheel bushing for my 78 Spit.  With the column off the car I notice
> that there are some indentations on the on it which suggest one can adjust
> its height.  Does anyone know if that is the case?
>
> I also have my oil pan off.  It was leaking and I also had to retrieve a
> broken fuel pump lever (note to all canucks; don't get a replacement fuel
> pump from Canadian Tire).  I must have not been paying much attention when
> I removed the oil pan but now I noticed there were two different lenghts of
> bolts.  There are a total of 16, 10 short and 6 longer ones.  The Haynes
> and Bently maual says the two long ones goes to the back of the pan.   But,
> I have 6 long bolts, does that mean they go to the front and back of the
> pan?

David,
It should be obvious by looking at the pan, where the bolts go.  The pan
has reinforcing material on some places and not on others.  The longer
bolts go where it is reinforced.

> There was a discussion awhile back about replacing the bolts with studs.
> Has anyone try this?  It seem it would make replacing the pan much more
> easier.

I wouldn't thank you could replace all of the bolts with studs.  If you
did the front ones it is doubtful you would be able to get the pan low
enough to remove it while the engine is in the car.  The others possibly
could be changed out with studs without any problems.  But you would
have to be careful with the engine since being on the bottom, they could
be easily damaged while installing or removing the engine with the pan
off.

Regards,
Joe
  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer