Vacuum Advance Unit

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Vacuum Advance Unit
From: GatesDavid@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 22:10:24 EST
I have been suspecting my vacuum advance unit to be faulty for sometime but
had no way of testing it.  Then recently I purchased a mityvac w/ guage.  When
I attached the mityvac to the vacuum advance (with unit removed from the car)
not only did it not actuate the little lever that goes into the distributor
but it registered no vacuum level on the guage.  It seems as if the diaphram
is shot.

So, here are my questions regarding this.

1.  The distributor is an AC Delco model on a '73 Spitfire.  I cannot find
this exact distributor in any of the catalogs or a vacuum advance unit of ANY
TYPE in any catalogs either.  I would hate to buy a whole distributor just for
the vacuum advance.  Does anyone have a spare they want to sell or know where
I might be able to buy one?

2.  Are these repairable?  The vacuum advance itself appears to be pretty well
sealed so I expect the answer to be no.  But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks
David Gates
'73 Spitfire 1500
'78 Spitfire 1500