judging suggestions - ISCA method

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: judging suggestions - ISCA method
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 13:06:01 -0600
O great masses of devotees of the scions of Lucas...the Lord of Car Shows
will now Speak.....

ha ha.... thought that'd get ya interested......

Step into the rod and custom arena for a minute since nobody has referenced
to it yet:

The ISCA (International Show Car Association) stages the big indoor shows
across N.America.  You've all been to one but who has entered?  I have,
twice.  Here's what happens.

There is a rulebook which specifically dictates different categories, and
then different levels of mods are subcategories in each category.  Certain
prep. points are assessed for each mod depending on degree of difficulty,
etc.  U've all seen the rods that show up.... in the national classes they
are "forced" to run them to prove they actually function as cars.  Then they
rip off the headers and rechrome them because they've blued a bit, etc, etc,
etc.

Ultimately,  the organizer's decision on classification is final. Strangely,
there never seems to be more than 4 cars in a class.  The show judges are
given the power to reclassify any car that may "better fit" in another
category.  There are 4 trophies awarded in each category, given the entries
to back that.

Get the picture?!?!?  Everybody ends up happy.

People like to get their $10 trophy no matter what "class" they belong in.
The ceremony was much like our banquet but without food or drink.  There
were also "outstanding" awards, much like our certificates, and club
participation awards, but given to 3 cars in and more.  There is an overall
best of show as well as a public choice which is drawn from all entries,
TQ's or drivers.

If it were me, I would  take the best of both systems.  Why not use their
book (or similar) to differentiate the levels of customization, and their
approach of giving back at least a token to everybody?

The VTR has a much superior judging criteria.  ISCA uses a 100 pt  scale,
arbitrarily adjudicated.  We have standards pertaining to TR's only (I know,
ISCA can;t do that inter-marque).  Why not develop our strength?

At ISCA, one year I committed in "Late Conservative sports" against a
Pantera and a Corvette.  Guess who came 3rd?  Guess who had less money
invested in the whole car than the others' had in paint and polish alone?

the next year, I mounted slicks and numbers and entered as a "Production
Road Racer".  2nd of 4.  Higher place, higher points.  The Austin Healey
3000 (which, incidentally was the same AH that spun and instigated our 2 car
totalfest last August) was called a "Vintage Road Racing Car" and came 1st
out of 1.  Yet, we compete on the track as vintage cars together.

In closing (and hopefully to put this thread to rest for a while),  let us
first focus on what the VTR wishes to accomplish by the judging procedure.
Let us also focus on why we go to these events.  Is it for the fun and
camaraderie of fellow psycho scions or for a plaque?  Maybe it is both.
Likely it is both as we all love our cars more than others' cars.  That is
why we are all different but the same.

May I suggest to the VTR reps who may read this post that a note be
circulated soliciting (directly, not on list) ideas for judging
improvements?  Said reps could then cull and sort the ideas and propose
modifications if warranted for, say, the 2000 convention.

Dave (Just call me Switzerland) Terrick
Winterpeg