Re: Spitfire exhaust questions

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire exhaust questions
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 09:39:10 -0800
Atwell,
To connect the Monza system to the Pacesetter 4-1 header, I took two 45
degree bends that I bought at a local auto parts store (sized to fit the
collector box on the pacesetter; and fit them together to form an "S"
curve.  THis allowed flexibility enough to bridge the gap to line up
with the Monza system.

A reducer sized to fit the Monza input pipe finished off that part.

I mounted them using some shock mounts that resemble the rear
Transmission mounts on a non-OD Spitfire Tranny.  These absorb most of
the vibration without shaking apart.  I mounted them using the stock
mounting points on my Spit.

In the rear, I had to fabricate some brackets that attach to the
vertical lip in the trunk floor.  I used the same type mounts here as
well.

Regards,
Joe

Atwell Haines wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I never got a reply on the following questions when I posted them to the
> Spitfires-List a couple weeks ago.   That's what I get for burying them in
> a reply!
>
> ++++++++++++++++++
>
> >>Getting back to the serious subject of exhaust systems, I have been
> thinking about upgrading my Spit's rusty pipes too.   In addition to the
> [addition of a flexible] braided pipe, has anyone yet tried a larger pipe
> diameter?   Any fitting problems if so?
>
> How about using modern rubber type hangers instead of the vibration -
> inducing, and breakage - prone, factory straps?<<
>
> ++++++++++++++++++
>
> Here are a couple of web sites I have found that explain the design and
> construction of exhaust systems:
>
> http://www.magnaflow.com/
>
> and
>
> http://www.car-sound.com/