Re: Spitfire exhaust questions

To: JRossi727@aol.com, <blue_jay@bigfoot.com>, Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire exhaust questions
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 09:36:00 -0500
Joe, Michael, and John, thanks for your replies.

I know that asking the pros at a muffler shop to actually build the exhaust
system is the way to go. That has been my plan all along.

Right now I'm asking for feedback, trying to determine the specifications
of my system when I ask for it.

+++++++++++++

Joe and Michael, I surmise from your posts that the Monza pipe diameter is
smaller than the outlet diameter of the headers you are using.  Is there
any reason you didn't use larger pipe all the way back?   (That's an easy
way to reduce backpressure).

Is using OEM pipe sizes with mandrel-bent curves (that don't reduce the
diameter) a better, cheaper solution than larger pipe?

Joe talks of gaining flexibility with adapters to align mis-matched
components. The flexible stainless braided coupler pipe I am proposing
would do that, but my main purpose in using it would be to isolate
vibration.  I guess I am wondering whether it would need additional support
brackets.

Michael, your idea of using threaded rod across the back of the car is a
good one.  Sure beats the mounting hole the DPO drilled in the valence of
my car!

John, when you had your B's hanger system made up, did it result in a
noticeable noise reduction?   Any problems, such as the pipes hanging
lower, or the system swinging side to side and hitting the body?  Since I'm
not familiar with Bs, are the pipe sizes you used bigger than OEM?

+++++++++++++++

<Atwell climbs on soapbox>

Many shops don't realise the requirements of LBC maintenance.   For
example, I  want my system for the Spit to be easily removable, all the
better to top up the tranny fluid and service the driveshaft and diffy.  I
don't know yet how many 'sections' are best.   I'm sure I don't want the
whole thing welded together, though!

I have found that mechanics don't always realise the effects of their
modifications beyond their own speciality.  For example, the installer that
put a radio in my Spit left the support bracket to the steering column
unsecured! Grrrr.  :(  He got the radio in good though.

<falls off soapbox>

Still Exhausted,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire

+++++ORIGINAL REPLIES+++++
Joe Curry wrote,

At 09:58 PM 11/14/98 EST, John Flintstone wrote:
>Take your car to a muffler shop. Or a local Shop that fabricates
>exhaust systems.
>The muffler shop around here will build you anything. Welded systems with
>modern hangers.  Had my 67-MGB done. Monza header 2" outlet extended about
two
>feet and size down to 1 3/4" to Monza exhaust systems.  Maxi Muffler Shop.
$40