Engine color opinions please..

To: spit list <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Engine color opinions please..
From: John Suchak <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:00:04 -0500
In another post I mentioned that I'm detailing the engine I'm putting in
my '74 Spit project car.  I've pretty much stripped the motor down to a
long block while thoroughly de-greasing it, and I'm thinking that if I'm
ever going to paint the motor, this will be the time.

So....

Any opinions out there on the subject?  Here's what I'm thinking...

The car is going to be a really deep royal blue metallic, as seen on the
current Ford trucks..  (You know the color..)  The overall "theme" of
the project is sort of "racestoration"..  My hot rod buddies would tell
you that I'm building a "street rod" flavored car..   Lots of billet
pieces, racing seats..  Definately a modified car.  Originality is not a
big concern for me.

A friend painted the block in his GT6 white, and I think it's about the
coolest thing in the world.  It's totally sanitary.  Of course, this
engine *never* runs, so dirt and grime are not a problem.  My car will
be driven often, although at my discretion, and I suspect I'd keep the
motor spotless regardless of color.  Is this just the tackiest thing
you've ever heard of?  I think it really looks cool.

I've considered a "dark machine grey" instead of white as well..  Sort
of industrial, easier to keep looking good.

I'm really trying to avoid the old "paint it black" school of thought.
I'm sure that there is some thermodynamic heat dissipative reason for
doing it, but I think it detracts from the appearance.

What do you guys think?

John
http://www.jacksonville.net/~suchak/toys.htm