I'm all CRANKED up..

To: spit list <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: I'm all CRANKED up..
From: John Suchak <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 12:45:57 -0500
Hey Gang:

I'm at the point in my 1500 restoration where I'm detailing the motor
I'll be dropping in it.  I'm going to be removing the timing cover to
blast and paint it and have a couple of questions, specifically:

Any tips/tricks for removing the crank pulley?  Looks like just a
whopper of a socket and the air wrench, but is there anything else I
need to know?

My engine donor-car is a '77 (smog), I'm putting it into my '74 project
car and removing the smog crap in the process.  The '77 has a two belt
crank pulley, presumably to accomodate the air pump.  I assume an
earlier motor would only have a single "slot", is this correct?  If so,
are they interchangable (same crank?) and does anyone have one I might
buy?  I'd also love to replace it with some trick billet degreed wheel
if anyone knows of a source.

I'm thinking about going direct, crank trigger ignition and tossing the
distributor away.  Has anyone fitted one, and does it include a new
pulley with the magnet in it, or do you retrofit the magnet to your
existing pulley?

The thick "tar paper" pad on the timing cover is pretty much gone..  I
assume this was to knock down the noise from the chain?  Anyone using a
cover without the pad who might tell me if the noise is really bad?

Same goes for the pad on the top cover of the trans..  Another noise
barrier?  Really loud without it?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

John

http://www.jacksonville.net/~suchak/toys.htm