Re: ZS 150 to 175 Conversion

To: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: ZS 150 to 175 Conversion
From: Maurice Dykes <mhdykes@thinkage.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:11:42 -0500
At 03:07 PM 11/18/98 , john donohoe wrote:
>I plan on upgrading to freshly rebuilt 175's, and we will fabricate an
>adapter to go between the carb and manifold which offsets the carb to
>clear the bonnet as required.
>
>If anyone has already done this, let me know! And if not, let me know
>if you're interested in an adapter "kit" of your own!

Hi John,

When I converted to HD 8's in my 2.5 GT6 I didn't bother with the
adapter route. If you look at your intake manifold you will notice the
skinny runners leading up to flange plus the flange itself is not quite
big enough to mate with larger carbs.

Any porting with this manifold would have resulted in breaking through
the manifold's tube wall.

This I solved by getting a welder friend to add gobs of aluminum to the
underside of the skinny tubes next to the flange and to fill in all the
hollow areas. Then  he built up the surface area of the flange's mating
surface to accommodate the 4 bolt pattern. He also filled in the old
carb mounting holes.

At this stage it looked pretty ugly but I took a hand grinder (dremmel
tool?) to the new aluminum and smoothed it off, then opened up the
ports and finally had a   machine shop resurface the flange and drill
new carb mounting holes.

End result was an intake manifold that flowed much nicer than an
adapter mated to a small bore inlet. Total cost $60.

-Maurice
--
IdentaFone - Caller ID Software
With Speech, Paging, Email, SMS delivery