Re: Hot or not?

To: SpitfireKP@aol.com
Subject: Re: Hot or not?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 15:32:18 -0800
Kris,
It appears that the trouble may not be with your sending unit, but
rather the gauge itself.  Try the same test with a different gauge and
see if you get the same results.

Of course, under normal operating conditions, the temperature gauge
shouldn't travel above around 3/4 of the scale.  So if your gauge is
functioning properly, you might have cooling system problems.

Such problems can be:
-Plugged water jackets in the engine,
-Plugged radiator core
-Poorly functioning water pump
-And the obvious (all the above)

Some things that can help an overheating engine are:
-Add an oil cooler
-Have the radiator checked
-Check the coolant level and antifreeze content
-Have the engine block flushed to remove blockages.

I hope this helps, but I'd suspect the gauge first.

Regards,
Joe Curry

SpitfireKP@aol.com wrote:

> When driving my Spit for the first time this summer, I kept pulling over to
> the side of the road whenever the temperature gauge reached its max, which was
> roughly every 5 minutes. I couldn't figure out the problem, b/c it was full of
> coolant and oil, and everything seemed to be in order. I decided to test the
> sending unit, so I boiled some water and poured it into a thermos and stuck a
> thermometer and the sending unit in it. The thermometer read 170 degrees, i
> believe, and the sending unit was at its max again. I assumed the sending unit
> was bad. However, I bought a new one and the problem is still there. In the
> winter, this rarely occurs, but it still reads b/w 3/4 and max all the time. I
> imagine in the summer it will be hotter. Is this normal? I would like to know,
> b/c it is extremely frustrating, and I dont want to inadvertantly run my
> engine hot for too long.
>
> KRis Powell

  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer